I have no idea where to start so I’ll do it in the fragmentary nature it’s coming back to me.
It was genuinely for me at least, the best blogger night out I’ve ever been at. Both in terms of the ceremony and the afters. Best. Ever. Bar. None. The bar has been set very high for next year.
The Cork International Airport Hotel is just gorgeous, surreal, pretty and wonderful and they put up with us very, very gamely. Thanks lads and lassies 🙂
Sorry if I did meet you and only talk to you for a few minutes, I was being dragged to do things left, right and centre and as the evening went on and the drinks flowed my sense of time got severely altered.
It is a testament to how much I enjoyed myself and how many wonderful people I met that I took almost no pistures (freudian slip) pictures and the ones I did take that are worth using are here.
People who rock that I met properly for the first time:
The Sexy Pedestrian – who was!
Bock – who was nothing like what I expected.
Cianflah – who I got chatting to for ages about social media and radio.
Eolai – who was just lovely, warm and thoughtful and whose paintings were being pawed all night.
Fiona Pursued By A Bear – whose Annie Rhiannon impression I would have loved to have seen 🙂
Elfinamsterdam – who was just that and a huge hit to boot!
Made Marian – Maz from Style Treaty lives!
Ciara Wedding Dates – who was game enough to put on her wedding dress and give us a theatrical flourish to the final award.
Trust Tommy – who I suitably embarrassed by telling him I was SO not as cool as him when I was his age. Or in the many decades since….
and loads more who I’ve undoubtedly forgotten in the brief time I’ve had to write this. Did I meet you? Remind me…
Of course the real
As for the night, look, other people have done it better…
Sabrina has a brilliant alternative awards here – have a look:
I didn’t head to room 201, it’s possibly the only reason I was alive come Sunday morning…
Darragh and a cast of millions do the introductory videos:
Cupid Stunt’s been crunching the stats (and yes, you should be posting more often, ya fecker!):
And Mcawilliams take the pic:
The rest is all here at:
Even if they do liken my relationship with the event to Gaybo’s with The Rose Of Tralee. Reckon we could get each of the winners to do a party piece next year?
Then there’s my random thoughts…
- My phone rings at 1am from an unknown UK number. Hmmm. I answer as I’m in the mood to find out who it is. Annie Rhiannon!! I’d texted her Irish mobile from the stage just after she won with “You won!” and she wanted to know all about what had happened.
- The whole livetweeting of the 40 mins we were stuck on the tarmac in Dublin. Check the hashtag #iba09 in Twitter around 1.30 – 2.30 on Saturday…
- Giant inflatable Twister. Yes, I know there are photos out there. They burn my eyes.
- Not getting to meet Fran Hollywood. Grrrrrr….. He was responsible for all the polystyrene fun had on the night (he even did my name out, which is currently in the possession of the wonderful Rymus as there was no way Ryanair were going to let me take it on as carry on!) and i passed him more than once. FAIL.
- How I could not have been prouder to have handed on my title to the most wonderful Ms Raptureponies… Don’t think that means I’m not coming back next year looking to claim what’s rightfully mine, though 😉
- Twenty and Lottie both buying me whiskey at the bar at 3am. It’s a tough life. I love you both…
- Suzy’s DOUBLE standing ovation. And rightly so…
Seriously though, to describe it as the best night out ever would be doing it a severe injustice and I loves ya Damien, we all do 😉
EDIT – Jaysus, flashbacks a go go now… Meeting Sharon from The Family Voyage albeit briefly and how could I possibly forget the impossibly glamourous and lovely Fatmammycat!!! *hangs head in shame*
There was also the moment in the bar having lunch the following day with a large group of our lot. Two guys had been doing a series of rat pack numbers to backing tracks over in the corner and had taken a break. Then they decide to strike up again just as The Internet’s Ben Kenealy walked into the room a bit the worse for wear. What were they playing?
Seemed hysterical at the time 🙂